State CPE Requirements
State Board Website:
License Renewal Deadline:
Triennial based on the date of issuance (current) and birth month (prior to 1/1/1993)
CPE Reporting Period:
1/1 to 12/31 annually
Total CPE Hours Required:
CPAs have the following options: Complete a minimum of 40 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education in any of the recognized subject areas, or Complete a minimum of 24 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education concentrated in one subject area. Approved subject areas are: accounting, attest, auditing, taxation, advisory services, specialized knowledge and applications related to specialized industries, and such other areas appropriately related to the practice of accounting as may be acceptable to the Department.
Four (4) hours of professional ethics during the three calendar years preceding the license expiration date.
The four (4) hours of professional ethics may be counted toward the annual contact hour requirement in the calendar year that they are taken.
If the licensee’s principal place of business is New York or they are only licensed in New York, then the ethics course must be approved by New York.
If the licensee’s principal place of business is not New York and they are licensed in their Principal Place of Business, then regulatory ethics earned from a New York, NASBA, or Principal Place of Business approved provider may be applied towards the New York ethics requirement.
• Instruction: The maximum credit for instructors and articles/books is 50% of total hours. No repetition of courses without significant revisions or new materials for instructor credits.
• Instructed University/College Credit: The course must be delivered for academic credit at a regionally accredited college or university. The content area of the course must fall within the approved subject areas. However you may not claim CPE credit for teaching any one of the accounting courses that is required for licensure as a CPA.
• Published Materials: The maximum credit for instructors & articles/books is 50% of total hours. An author’s work must be published in a peer-referenced journal or book dealing with relative topics approved by the department.
Other Subject Area Requirements:
Any licensee who supervises attest or compilation services or signs or authorizes someone to sign the accountant’s report on financial statements on behalf of a firm shall be required to complete at least 40 contact hours of continuing education in audit, accounting, and/or attest during the three years immediately prior to the performance of such services. These contact hours may be counted toward the annual contact hour requirement in the calendar year that they are completed.
Other State Policies:
• Courses taken inside the state of New York must be sponsored by entities registered with the NY State Board or with NASBA.
• Courses taken outside the State of New York must be sponsored by entities registered with the NY State Board, the Board of the state in which the course was taken, or with NASBA.
• Self Study courses, regardless of physical location, must be sponsored by entities registered with the NY State Board or with NASBA.
Professional development programs and technical sessions of national, state and local organizations and firms in the practice of public accounting approved by the board are acceptable. Other organized education and technical programs relevant to the practice of public accountancy that are approved by the board.