State CPE Requirements
State Board Website:
License Renewal Deadline:
CPE Reporting Period:
1/1 to 12/31 over a three year rolling period
Total CPE Hours Required:
Minimum CE Hours per year:
2 hours of Virginia specific ethics per year. Providers offering ethics courses must register with the Board and/or have their content approved by the Board.
• Exams: 60 hours maximum in a three year reporting period. The VBOA will award the CPE hours for the year in which the exam was passed and the certification was received. View all accepted certifications/exams/licensures.
• Instruction: 30 hours maximum in a three year reporting period.
• Authored Published Material: 30 hours maximum in a three-year reporting period effective July 1, 2022.
Other Subject Area Requirements:
8 hours in Attest or Compilation Services per year for any licensee who releases or authorizes the release of reports on attest services, compilation services, or financial statement preparation services provided for persons or entities located in Virginia.
Other State Policies:
• Virginia accepts CPE credits for programs offered by National Registry sponsors.
• Exemption: A non-resident licensee may meet Virginia’s CPE requirements by meeting the CPE requirements of his principal place of business. The principal place of business must have a CPE requirement including an ethics requirement to qualify.
• Grace Period: January 31 is the deadline for obtaining CPE for the previous calendar year.