State CPE Requirements
State Board Website:
License Renewal Deadline:
12/31 every two years ending on odd years
CPE Reporting Period:
1/1 to 12/31 every two years ending on odd years
Total CPE Hours Required:
4 hours every biennial license renewal
• Instructed: The maximum credit allowed for instructors is 40 hours. Credit for teaching the same course is awarded only once during a three-year period.
• Published Material: The maximum credit allowed for published material is 20 hours.
• Practice review: The maximum credit allowed for time spent as a reviewer at a formally sponsored inter-office or inter-firm quality review program is 20 hours.
• Technical Reviewer: The Board has provisions to allow for CPE credit hours for a reviewer at a formally sponsored inter-office or inter-firm quality review program, with 50% of each hour and not to exceed 20 hours per biennium.
Other Subject Area Requirements:
Other State Policies:
• Provider Approval: Course providers must be one of the following:
o A non-profit nationally recognized accounting and auditing association
o An accredited university or college
o Approved by either the Hawaii Board of Accountancy or another state board of accountancy
o Approved by NASBA’s National Registry of CPE Sponsors
• Carryover hours:
o Up to forty (40) hours earned in excess of the reporting period requirements may be carried over to the next reporting period.