3 Credits: Finance
Maximizing value from the purchase of a business requires a detailed understanding of valuation methods. The Business Valuation course provides insights into the circumstances under which different valuation methods should be used, and discusses how to sort out those situations in which a range of valuations are indicated. The course goes on to describe how to value intangible assets, a number of valuation adjustment factors, valuation mistakes, and similar topics. In short, the course is a valuable reference for anyone seeking a better understanding of how much a business is worth.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the situations in which a business valuation may be needed.
- Cite the presence of going concern indicators.
- Identify the calculation methods used for each of the valuation methodologies.
- Cite how the cost of capital is derived, including the proper derivation of beta.
- Cite how scenario analysis can be used to refine the discounted cash flows model.
- Identify the circumstances under which premiums and discounts are applied to a valuation.
- List the different types of intangible assets.
- Identify the different methods available for assigning valuations to intangible assets.
August 8, 2023
There are no prerequisites.
CMA Notice: Western CPE makes every attempt to maintain our CMA CPE library, to ensure a course meets your continuing education requirements please visit Insitute of Management Accountants (IMA)
CFP Notice: Not all courses that qualify for CFP® credit are registered by Western CPE. If a course does not have a CFP registration number in the compliance section, the continuing education will need to be individually reported with the CFP Board. For more information on the reporting process, required documentation, processing fee, etc., contact the CFP Board. CFP Professionals must take each course in it’s entirety, the CFP Board DOES NOT accept partial credits for courses.
Meet The Experts
Steven M. Bragg, CPA, is a full-time book and course author who has written more than 250 business books and courses. He provides Western CPE with self-study courses in the areas of accounting and finance, with an emphasis on the practical application of accounting standards and management techniques. A sampling of his courses include the The New Controller Guidebook, The GAAP Guidebook, Accountants’ Guidebook, and Closing the Books: An Accountant’s Guide. He also manages the Accounting Best Practices podcast. Steven has been the CFO or controller of both public and private companies and has been a consulting manager with Ernst & Young and …