Business combinations are a common way for companies to grow in size. This course provides an in-depth overview of the accounting and reporting requirements with respect to business combinations as prescribed by Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) Topic 805, Business Combinations. The overall objective of the guidance included within ASC 805 is to improve the relevance, representational faithfulness, and comparability of the information that a reporting entity provides in its financial reports about a business combination and its effects.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the definition of a business as it relates to a business combination transaction
- List the steps involved in the acquisition method
- Identify the acquisition date for a business combination
- Recognize principles and exceptions in the measurement of assets and liabilities of a business combination
- Cite differences between the various categories of intangible assets
- Recognize how to measure goodwill and gains from bargain purchases
- Identify the measurement period for business combinations
- Recognize financial statement disclosures related to business combinations
- Identify the relief afforded to private entities with respect to accounting for business combinations
- Cite differences between measurement principles of business combinations and asset acquisitions
- Identify the difference between an acquiree and an acquirer
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top