6 Credits: Accounting
This course provides an overview of some of the controller’s most essential responsibilities. You’ll learn what is expected from a controller, how to set up and structure your department, and how to implement new systems. Special attention is paid to departmental management, payroll management, budgeting, capital budgeting, and the selection and installation of computer systems. These topics all fall under the responsibility of the controller, and each requires unique management and implementation techniques. As a whole, this course will help you set your department up to succeed on a range of issues, beginning with your first day on the job.
This course covers material also contained in The New Controller Guidebook.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of the controller and the chief financial officer, and the activities to address during the controller’s first days on the job
- Describe how to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the payroll department, as well as how to account for common payroll transactions
- Explain the techniques available for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the work flow of the accounting department
- Describe how the various components of the budget are assembled to create a complete budget package
- Explain the various methods for reviewing and subsequently evaluating a capital budgeting proposal
- Describe the steps required to select and install an accounting computer system
September 26, 2022
There are no prerequisites.
CMA Notice: Western CPE makes every attempt to maintain our CMA CPE library, to ensure a course meets your continuing education requirements please visit Insitute of Management Accountants (IMA)
CFP Notice: Not all courses that qualify for CFP® credit are registered by Western CPE. If a course does not have a CFP registration number in the compliance section, the continuing education will need to be individually reported with the CFP Board. For more information on the reporting process, required documentation, processing fee, etc., contact the CFP Board. CFP Professionals must take each course in it’s entirety, the CFP Board DOES NOT accept partial credits for courses.
Meet The Experts
Steven M. Bragg, CPA, is a full-time book and course author who has written more than 250 business books and courses. He provides Western CPE with self-study courses in the areas of accounting and finance, with an emphasis on the practical application of accounting standards and management techniques. A sampling of his courses include the The New Controller Guidebook, The GAAP Guidebook, Accountants’ Guidebook, and Closing the Books: An Accountant’s Guide. He also manages the Accounting Best Practices podcast. Steven has been the CFO or controller of both public and private companies and has been a consulting manager with Ernst & Young and …