Federal & California Tax Updates
2020 - 2021
Get the Industry's Best Tax Update without Leaving Home
Get the full benefit of classroom-style, interactive learning from your office or home when you attend our live Webcast. Our nationally-recognized instructors Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi, will give the latest on rule and process changes for the 2020-2021 tax season. You’ll have the chance to ask questions of our expert moderators for an interactive learning experience.
The individual tax session will take an in-depth look at individual tax issues including real estate and passive losses, IRAs and pensions, gift and estate and California tax issues. During the business tax session, you’ll learn everything you need to know this year for business, corporate, government and nonprofit taxes. Tax experts Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi will compare and contrast federal and California tax law, while answering your critical questions. Presentations also cover recommendations on ways to advise your clients in light of recent changes, and how to file accurately on their behalf.
Experience the flexibility of Webcasts without sacrificing quality.
The course is fully compatible for viewing on phone, tablet, and desktop devices, so you can participate from California.
Experience the industry’s most comprehensive, full-integrated FEDERAL & CALIFORNIA TAX UPDATE. Led by renowned tax experts, Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi, our seminars, live webcasts and self-study CPE options provide the information you need with flexibility and value that will maximize your time and money.
Live Instruction Online
- See and hear the instructor and their teaching slides
- Online chat. Ask questions of expert moderators
- NO exam requirement. Simply follow attendance prompts
- Receive your certificate upon completion
Tax Update PDF Manual Included
Receive a fully-linked, PDF copy of our 2020-2021 Federal & California Tax Update Manual, when you purchase the 8-credit Federal & California Tax Update courses.
This easy-to-use resource will support your success, not just in the course, but throughout the tax season.
Individual Tax Highlights
- Timing and impact of new key provisions in the CARES Act
- Key individual provisions including standard and itemized deduction and tax credit updates, and revisions to the 2020 Form 1040
- Requirements for various tax credits and rebate reconciliation applicable to individual taxpayers.
- IRA and retirement plan issues updated for SECURE
- IRA transfers to charity complications because of SECURE
- Review of important real estate issues including foreclosure
- Recent cases and rulings highlighting IRS audit issues on individual returns
- California legislation and Covid-19
- Conformity and 2020 federal tax law changes
- Residency and non-residency issues
- Apportionment update
Business Tax Highlights
- Key provisions of new legislation passed to assist businesses during the coronavirus shut down
- Problems with Paycheck Protection Program Loan forgiveness
- CARES retroactive changes to 163(j) interest deduction, Net Operating Losses, and §461(l) excess business losses
- Discussion of the pros and cons of the opportunity zone fund investment
- Comparison of the §179 and the bonus depreciation deduction
- Avoidance of huge Obamacare Form 226-J penalties
- Review of 2020 clarifications to the QBI deduction including Forms 8995 and 8995-A
- CARES Act payroll credits and deferrals
- Details of the expanded Sick leave and family leave credits
Fall 2020-2021 Federal and California Tax Update Webcast Pre-Order
Why did we raise our prices?
Rest assured, we would love to keep old prices, but unfortunately they are no longer economically feasible. Due to COVID-19 and other structural improvements, we've updated and standardized our prices across all products. We believe they reflect both premium value and competitive pricing.
In addition, we now offer an On-Demand Webcast Platform. Built in-house, this new system features an array of improvements, including the ability for students to choose when they start a course, freeing them from a rigid schedule. We have upgraded to the same hosting site that professional sports teams use – one that provides better video and sound quality for our students. We now provide on-demand webcasts six days a week, twelve hours a day.
We’ve also updated our website and customer dashboard. Customers can soon track their learning across services, subscribe to custom learning paths tailored to their state requirements, and utilize our new moderation platform for an improved interactive learning experience.
We continually listen to customer concerns and refinements, then push innovation, even in the face of crisis. We’ve invested in better infrastructure and technology, well-suited for this year and beyond, pandemic or otherwise.
Thank you for understanding. We will continue to work hard at delivering premium products!
MEET OUR EXPERT
Sharon Kreider, CPA is the most popular federal tax update seminar instructor in California. For each of the past 19 years, Sharon has helped more than 15,000 California tax preparers get ready for tax season. In addition to instructing at Western CPE tax seminars, she also presents regularly for the AICPA, the California Society of Enrolled Agents, and A.G. Edwards. You’ll benefit from the detailed, hands-on tax knowledge Sharon Kreider will share with you—knowledge she gained through her extremely busy, high-income tax practice in Silicon Valley. With her dynamic presentation style, Sharon Kreider will demystify complex individual and business tax legislation. After joining Sharon Kreider at this two-day seminar, you’ll be prepared for a successful tax season!
Karen Brosi, CFP, EA is one of the most popular instructors on California tax law, presents comprehensive and relevant information at this tax update seminar. Her background as a CFP professional and as a tax preparer for the wealthy makes her particularly effective in the tax and financial planning arenas. Karen Brosi will teach you how to avoid tax minefields with her extensive planning checklists and practical tips. Besides being one of the most prominent California tax update instructors, she is a favorite interviewee on radio, television, and in the print media, including BusinessWeek. Karen Brosi’s powerful real-life presentations pinpoint critical federal and state tax areas, teaching you what you need to know to optimally assist your clients.