Federal & California Tax Updates
2019 - 2020
Get the Industry's Best Tax Update without Leaving Home
Get the full benefit of classroom-style, interactive learning from your office or home when you attend our live Webcast. Our nationally-recognized instructors Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi, will give the latest on rule and process changes for the 2019-2020 tax season. You’ll have the chance to ask questions of our expert moderators for an interactive learning experience.
The individual tax session will take an in-depth look at individual tax issues including real estate and passive losses, IRAs and pensions, gift and estate and California tax issues. During the business tax session, you’ll learn everything you need to know this year for business, corporate, government and nonprofit taxes. Tax experts Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi will compare and contrast federal and California tax law, while answering your critical questions. Presentations also cover recommendations on ways to advise your clients in light of recent changes, and how to file accurately on their behalf.
Experience the flexibility of Webcasts without sacrificing quality.
The course is fully compatible for viewing on phone, tablet, and desktop devices, so you can participate from California.
Experience the industry’s most comprehensive, full-integrated FEDERAL & CALIFORNIA TAX UPDATE. Led by renowned tax experts, Sharon Kreider and Karen Brosi, our seminars, live webcasts and self-study CPE options provide the information you need with flexibility and value that will maximize your time and money.
The course is presented in four sections of four hours each:
Individual – Part 1, Individual – Part 2, Business – Part 1, and Business Part 2.
Live Instruction Online
- See and hear the instructor and their teaching slides
- Online chat. Ask questions of expert moderators
- NO exam requirement. Simply follow attendance prompts
- Receive your certificate upon completion
Tax Update PDF Manual Included
Receive a fully-linked, PDF copy of our 2019-2020 Federal & California Tax Update Manual, when you purchase this 16-credit Federal & California Tax Update course.
This easy-to-use resource will support your success, not just in the course, but throughout the tax season.
Individual Tax Highlights
- Updates on the latest individual tax reform developments
- Planning ideas regarding individual tax reform
- Updates on ACA and ‘Repeal and Replace’ developments
- 20% capital gains tax +3.8% NII tax issues
- Mortgage interest deductions cases and rulings
- Charity audit issues including the RERI Holdings decision
- Refundable and nonrefundable credit rule changes
- Kiddie tax issues and proposed legislation news
- FBAR and FATCA reporting
- IRA issues including SECURE legislation news
- Tax issues for online rentals
- IRS clarification on who is and isn’t a real estate professional
- Estate and gift planning ideas updated
- Trust tax updated including the Kaestner decision
- A bipartisan IRS bill, Taxpayer First Act (HR3151)
- 2019 Form 1040. Farewell to the “postcard”
- Forms 8995 and 8985-A required for QBI deduction claims in 2019
- Virtual Currency Transactions – IRS Soft Notice Letters 6173, 6174, 6174-A
- Identify important filing issues experienced by California taxpayers.
- Learn the details of how California doesn’t conform with the new law.
Business Tax Highlights
- Updates on the latest business tax reform developments
- Planning ideas and examples implementing business tax reform
- Changes to depreciation and update on technical corrections to QIP
- Review of several 2019 clarifications to the QBI deduction including new 2019 Forms 8995 and 8995-A
- Details on the aggregation election on the individual return and the RPE
- Changes to the information required on the RPE’s return regarding QBI
- Factors for classifying a real estate rental as a “business” for the QBI deduction
- Updates on payroll tax issues including the new Form 1099-NEC
- News on hot audit targets for S corporations and LLCs
- Reminders on the streamlined audit provisions for partnerships and LLCs
- Decision making on choice of entity after the QBI deduction
- Review of the section 163(j) rules on interest deductions
- Updates on ACA and its “employer mandate” including the Cadillac tax
- Plus what the IRS is planning for 2019 business return examinations
MEET OUR EXPERT
Sharon Kreider, CPA is the most popular federal tax update seminar instructor in California. For each of the past 19 years, Sharon has helped more than 15,000 California tax preparers get ready for tax season. In addition to instructing at Western CPE tax seminars, she also presents regularly for the AICPA, the California Society of Enrolled Agents, and A.G. Edwards. You’ll benefit from the detailed, hands-on tax knowledge Sharon Kreider will share with you—knowledge she gained through her extremely busy, high-income tax practice in Silicon Valley. With her dynamic presentation style, Sharon Kreider will demystify complex individual and business tax legislation. After joining Sharon Kreider at this two-day seminar, you’ll be prepared for a successful tax season!
Karen Brosi, CFP, EA is one of the most popular instructors on California tax law, presents comprehensive and relevant information at this tax update seminar. Her background as a CFP professional and as a tax preparer for the wealthy makes her particularly effective in the tax and financial planning arenas. Karen Brosi will teach you how to avoid tax minefields with her extensive planning checklists and practical tips. Besides being one of the most prominent California tax update instructors, she is a favorite interviewee on radio, television, and in the print media, including BusinessWeek. Karen Brosi’s powerful real-life presentations pinpoint critical federal and state tax areas, teaching you what you need to know to optimally assist your clients.