3 Credits: Accounting
Project Accounting describes the role of the accountant in designing a cost collection system for a project, charging expenses to it, and measuring the amount of revenue to be recognized. Accounting expert Steven M. Bragg also addresses the management of change orders, allowances, and contingencies, while noting the impact of GAAP requirements on specific project issues, including interest capitalization and the treatment of research and development costs. The controls and measurements used for projects are also discussed, giving you a complete picture of the entire process of accounting for projects.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the key characteristics of a project.
- Specify the pricing calculation methods for project contracts, as well as the issues associated with the different profit recognition methods.
- Recognize the different types of direct costs associated with a project, as well as the costs incurred to obtain a contract.
- Note the circumstances under which allowances are included in a project budget.
- Recognize the circumstances under which interest is capitalized.
- Identify the circumstances under which the costs associated with internal-use software development and website development should be capitalized or charged to expense.
- Note the controls related to the assignment of costs and the calculation of the percentage of completion.
- Identify the contents of the formulas associated with the analysis of projects.
October 18, 2022
There are no prerequisites.
CMA Notice: Western CPE makes every attempt to maintain our CMA CPE library, to ensure a course meets your continuing education requirements please visit Insitute of Management Accountants (IMA)
CFP Notice: Not all courses that qualify for CFP® credit are registered by Western CPE. If a course does not have a CFP registration number in the compliance section, the continuing education will need to be individually reported with the CFP Board. For more information on the reporting process, required documentation, processing fee, etc., contact the CFP Board. CFP Professionals must take each course in it’s entirety, the CFP Board DOES NOT accept partial credits for courses.
Meet The Experts
Steven M. Bragg, CPA, is a full-time book and course author who has written more than 250 business books and courses. He provides Western CPE with self-study courses in the areas of accounting and finance, with an emphasis on the practical application of accounting standards and management techniques. A sampling of his courses include the The New Controller Guidebook, The GAAP Guidebook, Accountants’ Guidebook, and Closing the Books: An Accountant’s Guide. He also manages the Accounting Best Practices podcast. Steven has been the CFO or controller of both public and private companies and has been a consulting manager with Ernst & Young and …