Our desire to build wealth can often make us vulnerable to con artists and investment schemes. In this informative course, Romney identifies and explains common investment schemes using interesting examples and case studies. He offers excellent ideas for detecting fraud before your hard-earned cash - or your clients' - winds up in someone else's pocket. This course takes an in-depth look at many different types of fraud, including:
- Ponzi schemes
- Advance fee fraud
- Prime bank and promissory note fraud
- Advisor, penny stock, and insider trading fraud
- Real estate fraud
- Affinity, check, and refund fraud
- Identity theft
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the concept of investment fraud, its key characteristics, and statistical data that demonstrates the prevalence of fraud.
- Identify the basic types of investment fraud, the role of swindlers and victims in fraud, how swindlers develop fraud schemes, how people are victimized by fraud, and the avenues that swindlers use to find victims.
- Recognize how to detect fraud, who can help investigate fraud, and ways to protect your own investments using a real-life fraud case.
- Identify the key characteristics, history, and functionality of Ponzi and pyramid schemes.
- Recognize the setup, roles of participants, and outcomes of real life cases of Ponzi and pyramid fraud.
- Identify the major types, characteristics, and victims of advance fee frauds including Nigerian 419, loan and credit card scams, credit repair frauds, and financial aid and scholarship scams.
- Recognize how advance fee frauds are perpetrated and how they can be recognized and avoided.
- Identify the history and key characteristics of prime bank and promissory note fraud.
- Using case studies and examples of real life prime bank and promissory note fraud, recognize the roles of perpetrators and victims, ways that scammers execute the fraudulent schemes, and how investors can protect themselves from prime bank and promissory note fraud.
- Identify fair practice rules, and the characteristics of various types of adviser, penny stock, and insider trading frauds.
- Recognize how investors can detect and avoid these types of frauds.
- Identify the various types and key characteristics of real estate fraud, including mortgage and foreclosure fraud.
- Recognize methods to detect and avoid being party to real estate fraud.
- Recognize the concepts and characteristics of affinity, check, and refund fraud.
- Recognize the prevalence, practice, and prevention of affinity, check, and refund fraud.
- Recognize the various forms of identity theft, their characteristics, and how they are perpetrated by citing actual cases.
- Identify methods of protecting yourself if you become a victim.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top