It is estimated that 95% of IRAs are in vehicles addressed in the Internal Revenue Code. The remaining 5% or so are held in what the industry commonly calls 'self-directed' accounts—because they are usually invested at the direction of the IRA owner—and invested in 'alternative,' less traditional investments. These include private partnerships (e.g., hedge funds), private stock, mortgage notes, and various forms of tangible and intangible property—real estate in particular. Understanding the broad range of investments available to account holders under self-directed accounts, along with relevant tax considerations, is vital for any financial professional. This course is certain to increase your knowledge about this critical yet complex subject.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the term “real assets,” discuss the basic rules in setting up and operating an IRA under IRC §408 and 408(a), and summarize certain prohibitions for IRAs.
- Analyze other tax considerations impacting IRAs, including unrelated business taxable income, required minimum distributions, the payment of IRA fees and expenses, and “sweat equity.”
- Specify the various types of prohibited transactions, the statutory exemptions available, and the pitfalls and practical considerations relating to the ownership of real assets in an IRA.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top