Real-World Ethics for Kansas CPAs is designed to meet the ethical requirements of the Kansas State Board of Accountancy. The course begins by providing two general framework approaches for ethical decision-making and then details the rules and principles of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct. Highlights include a review of the AICPA conceptual framework approach, PCAOB guidance and ethical guidelines for SEC filers, and information pertaining to the AICPA’s Professional Ethics Executive Committee (PEEC). Case studies and examples interspersed throughout help to illustrate how to handle real-life ethical issues and situations, making this course a useful, hands-on tool you can use to critique the various ethical decisions you face in your practice.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the step-by-step process contained in the framework for ethical decision making and the framework for resolving an ethical dilemma.
- Recognize the authority that governs a CPA's ethical behavior, the principles that guide the conceptual framework for the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct, and the restructuring that occurred during the AICPA Ethics Codification project.
- Identify terminology, ethical standards, and rules contained in the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct, noting implementation requirements.
- Recognize the application of authoritative and nonauthoritative guidance in helping the accounting professional avoid common mistakes as illustrated in the provided case studies.
- Specify the guidelines and restrictions established by the Public Companies Accounting Oversight Board for registered public accounting firms auditing SEC filers.
- Identify reputable sources for referencing additional ethical practice material, including the AICPA's newsletter issued by the Professional Ethics Executive Committee.
- Recognize the role of the Professional Ethics Division in investigating disciplinary matters involving AICPA members and members of state societies participating in the Joint Ethics Enforcement Program.
Table of Contents
A Framework for Ethical Decision Making
Recognize an Ethical Issue
Get the Facts
Make a Decision and Test It
Act, Then Reflect on the Decision Later
Resolving an Ethical Dilemma
Step 1: Analyze the Consequences
Step 2: Analyze the Actions
Step 3: Make a Decision
Chapter 1 Review Questions
Chapter 2 – AICPA Ethical Pronouncements and Rulings and PCAOB Guidance
The AICPA Code of Professional Conduct
AICPA Ethics Codification Project
Preface: Applicable to All Members
0.100 Overview of the Code of Professional Conduct
0.200 Structure and Application of the AICPA Code
0.300 Principles of Professional Conduct
0.500 Nonauthoritative Guidance
0.600 New, Revised, and Pending Interpretations and Other Guidance
0.700 Deleted Interpretations and Other Guidance
Part 1: Members in Public Practice and Part 2: Members in Business
x.100 Integrity and Objectivity
x.110 Conflicts of Interest
x.120 Gifts and Entertainment
x.130 Preparing and Reporting Information
x.300 General Standards
x.310 Compliance with Standards
x.320 Accounting Principles
x.400 Acts Discreditable
The Remainder of the Code of Professional Conduct
Five Cases Related to the Code
Case Suggested Solutions
The PCAOB and Ethics Guidelines
Chapter 2 Review Questions
Chapter 3 – Sources of Other AICPA Ethics Guidance
AICPA’s Professional Ethics Executive Committee
Chapter 3 Review Questions
Review Question Answers and Rationales
Appendix A: Outside Ethics Reading
Appendix B: State of Kansas Information Page
Appendix C: Kansas Code of Professional Conduct
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top