With the adoption of the passive loss limitation rules, taxpayers are looking to CPAs for guidance related to what deductions are allowed, disallowed, or suspended. This course will help you understand the practical aspects of §469 and addresses the skills you need to handle these pragmatic issues. Fundamentals are reviewed, planning opportunities are identified, and creative strategies are discussed and evaluated along with remaining traditional approaches. The goal of this course is to understand and solve client problems under §469, with emphasis on tax savings ideas. You'll learn to master the proper administration of these complex and often cumbersome provisions.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify affected taxpayers under §469, §469 and §1211 limits, as well as disallowed losses
- Calculate net gain on the sale of a passive activity
- Note the requirements for determining a taxpayer's material participation in an activity through material participation tests, activity grouping rules, rental activity, and nested activities
- Identify special passive loss rules, calculations, and tests
- Note passive activity audit guidelines, audit issues, the requirements for a real estate rental activity credit exception, and at-risk limit rules as they relate to §469
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top