Whether you are distributing a report or giving a presentation, you have a lot of numbers to present and only a few minutes to get your point across. Don't let your presentation get bogged down, confuse your audience, and damage your credibility. Instead, learn how to present numerical information effectively - in the same way you learned how to speak or write. In Painting with Numbers, you'll discover how to present numbers clearly and effectively so your ideas and your presentation shine.
Author Randall Bolten shares his decades of experience as a senior finance executive distilling complicated information into clear presentations, to help you make your numerical information more comprehensible, meaningful, and accessible. Painting with Numbers is brimming with hands-on advice, techniques, tools, rules, and guidelines for producing clear, attractive, and effective quantation (the word the author has coined for the skill of presenting numbers).
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the benefits of the Arabic numeral system and the importance of proper numeral alignment.
- Select the most appropriate headings and the maximum number of digits for financial columns in a quantation report.
- Identify strategies for the most proper layout properties for quantation reports.
- Identify the maximum required time-element characters.
- Choose visual effects to either enhance or avoid in financial reports.
- Select the most effective words to convey messages in reports.
- Recognize the correct presentation of abbreviations or acronyms.
- Identify data functions that complicate proper identification.
- Determine presentation tactics to use when including or omitting relevant data in reports.
- Identify information that is generally included in financial reports.
- Recognize the most effective multiple-time reporting sequence.
- Identify the most frequent reason presenters omit context within a report.
- Choose the maximum number of reports in a package without a table of contents.
- Identify mindsets that produce effective spreadsheet habits.
- Select time-saving methods for producing templates.
- Recognize and select tips for spreadsheets that focus on using Excel more efficiently to reduce time pressure.
- Specify the most efficient method to store time series data within Excel.
- Identify the methodology behind choosing tools and functions within Excel.
- Select appropriate tips to improve efficiency for people who use your spreadsheets or inherit your work.
- Choose the most effective macros for executing a sequence and inserting documents.
- Identify the best method for calculating totals for comparison purposes.
- Identify the first consideration when developing new spreadsheets.
- Identify reasons to include graphs in quantation.
- Recognize tips or features for presenting graphs that make visual information comprehensible and meaningful to your audience.
- Choose the most valid reason to begin the vertical axis anywhere other than zero.
- Identify the most effective page layout properties for Power Point presentations.
- Recognize the proper preparation for a Power Point audience.
- Select the amount of time generally required to instruct an audience to properly read a report.
- Choose special features within PowerPoint to effectively present numbers to a live audience.
- Recognize benefits of PowerPoint presentations.
- Identify the types of processes required for quantation.
- Recognize at least one reason for audience silence.
- Recognize prerequisites for understanding a particular number.
- Identify the most common presentation of ratios.
- Choose types of numbers or indicators presented in reports.
- Recognize Excel's default for negative percentages.
- Select one reason dashboard effectiveness is diminished.
- Determine the most effective qualities for presentation of the profit and loss statement for financial reporting to management.
- Recognize which P&L item is driven by employees hired.
- Identify the source of Natural P&L information.
- Recognize the best course of action when GAAP reports differ from pro forma reports.
- Recognize qualities of GAAP reporting.
- Identify the quantity of GAAP regulations.
- Select a result of GAAP pronouncements related to revenue recognition.
- Determine considerations when management financial reporting differs from the reporting required by GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
- Identify arenas outside of business where quantation is a valuable tool.
- Recognize at least one conclusion from an analysis of IRS Schedule X.
- Select reasons why clarification of public policy is difficult.
- Identify tools that facilitate decision making.
- Recognize objectives of presented models.
- Recognize the natural inclination when discussing growth.
- Select facts regarding quantation tools used in ordinary life and in the news.
- Select the words relevant to quantation topics.
- Identify reasons honesty is imperative when reporting.
- Recognize disadvantages of falsely improving current period results.
- Select the minimum number of lies required to perpetuate accounting fiction.
- Recognize ways quantation in politics varies from quantation in business.
- Recognize levels of quantation mastery.
- Identify characteristics of the audience that the effective quantation presenter must recognize.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top