Forecasting is the prediction of future events. In the finance field, this usually means that an organization is attempting to predict its future sales. Financial Forecasting and Modeling discusses the different types of forecasting methodologies, the situations in which they should be used, and how to construct them. The course also examines the layout and formulation of a financial model, and addresses specific issues within such a model, including the treatment of depreciation, debt, equity, and working capital. Further, the course describes the construction of short-term and longer-term cash forecasts, concluding with a review of the Excel functions that can be used for financial forecasting and modeling.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Cite the characteristics of the Delphi method.
- Identify the best uses of the different forecasting methods.
- Note the situations in which a smoothing constant can be used.
- Identify the different types of leading and lagging indicators.
- State which report makes use of the accounting equation.
- Note how an income statement is used.
- Identify the key inputs to a financial model.
- Identify the complications caused by the use of a plug within a financial model.
- Note the circumstances under which a business could fund its own growth.
- Cite the cases in which an expansion of a financial model might be warranted.
- Note the sources of the receipts and disbursements method.
- Identify the duration periods for the different types of forecasts.
- Note why the results of an automated cash forecasting system may be incorrect.
- Identify the reliability levels of the different types of cash forecast information.
- State the reasoning behind the use of a cash forecast reconciliation.
- Note which Excel functions will fit straight and curved lines to the data.
- Identify the types of information provided by the different Excel functions relating to forecasting.
- Cite the inputs required for the different Excel functions relating to forecasting.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top