Finance involves obtaining, using, and managing funds to achieve the company's financial objectives (e.g., maximization of shareholder value). The course emphasizes and develops an understanding of financial concepts, tools, strategies, and major decision areas related to the financial management of the business. This course is directed toward the businessperson who must have financial knowledge but has not recently had training in finance.
Topics include a broad overview of business types and formation, funding, capital markets, tax planning, budgeting, financial statement and analysis and many other aspects of running a business. Many subjects are discussed with the intention of providing the business person with a quick introduction to commonly used business terms and requirements.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the goals of managerial finance.
- Identify the influence and concerns of financial managers.
- Identify depreciation methods and tax deductions.
- Recognize the elements basic financial statements, including the balance sheet and the statement of cash flows.
- Differentiate between several financial analysis ratios.
- Calculate return on investment.
- Identify the different types of budgets an organization might need, and the steps required for budgeting.
- Recognize the steps in projecting external financial needs.
- Recognize the different ways to improve cash management.
- Identify when to use various cash management models to help reduce uncertainty.
- Recognize different methods for measuring risk.
- Recognize beta's role in assessing a security' risk.
- Identify the relationship between bond price and interest rates.
- Recognize the concept of term structure when applied to interest rates.
- Recognize the concept of time value of money.
- Identify capital budgeting techniques.
- Recognize various evaluation methods for capital budgeting.
- Identify mutually exclusive investments.
- Recognize steps in the lease versus purchase decision.
- Recognize different methods for measuring the cost of capital.
- Identify the relative costs associated with using different types of capital.
- Distinguish between the different objectives for dividend policies.
- Recognize different financing strategies and the opportunity costs associated with them.
- Recognize the characteristics of intermediate-term bank loans.
- Identify the characteristics of different types of long term debt, and the associated risks.
- Identify various purchase and sales processes for different securities.
- Differentiate between different types of mergers and acquisitions.
- Recognize the uses and benefits of business combinations.
- Recognize the characteristics of a tender offer.
- Recognize different techniques for assigning risk to companies.
- Identify financial aspects of doing business globally.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top