This course provides an overview of some of the controller's most essential responsibilities. You'll learn what is expected from a controller, how to set up and structure your department, and how to implement new systems. Special attention is paid to departmental management, payroll management, budgeting, capital budgeting, and the selection and installation of computer systems. These topics all fall under the responsibility of the controller, and each requires unique management and implementation techniques. As a whole, this course will help you set your department up to succeed on a range of issues, beginning with your first day on the job.
This course covers material also contained in The New Controller Guidebook.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of the controller and the chief financial officer, and the activities to address during the controller's first days on the job
- Describe how to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the payroll department, as well as how to account for common payroll transactions
- Explain the techniques available for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the work flow of the accounting department
- Describe how the various components of the budget are assembled to create a complete budget package
- Explain the various methods for reviewing and subsequently evaluating a capital budgeting proposal
- Describe the steps required to select and install an accounting computer system
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top