While many people fear competitive negotiations, they actually require much less preparation than a collaborative approach. When using a competitive strategy, you only need to know your own needs, premeditate the tactics you will use, and anticipate the tactics of the other side. This dynamic and practical course teaches you:
- How to recognize when competitive negotiations are appropriate
- Rules of engagement for deploying a competitive strategy
- How to protect yourself from the tactics being used by your competitive opponent
- How to anticipate and address option concerns or push-backs from the other side
- The role of trust and credibility when competing
The person with the best preparation and the most expansive set of tactics is the one most likely to succeed in a win-lose negotiation. Build your toolbox with the strategies presented in this course and you'll see an improvement in your results.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Prepare for business negotiations by building an arsenal of different competitive negotiation tactics.
- Recognize which tactics may be used by the other side in a negotiation in order to prepare counter-measures.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of using a team in the negotiation and, if used, prepare each member by providing training and practicing prior to the meeting.
- Keep your emotions in check while deploying defensive, fortifying tactics during competitive negotiations.
- Successfully defend your positions in a competitive negotiation by using counter-tactics in response to attacks from the other side.
- Address the concerns of the other side when engaging in competitive negotiations, in such a way that they feel satisfied with your effort to do so.
- Build and sustain credibility and trust during competitive negotiation.
- Debrief and evaluate each competitive negotiation session in order to improve future performance and spot opportunities for a move to collaborative negotiations with the client.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top