Getting married, having children, buying a home with your spouse - all of these major life decisions have significant tax consequences. In this course, marital tax matters such as living together, property rights, premarital agreements, filing status, exemptions, and dependents are explored. This course also covers the detail support test for children of divorced or separated parents, the tax treatment of back child support, the deduction of divorce costs, and estimated tax payments. Emphasis is given to marital property rules, married versus unmarried tax rate comparison, head of household status, and treatment of refunds and deficiencies.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the types of martial filing statuses, noting the requirements of each, advantages and disadvantages, and the effect marital status has on filing status
- Recognize the rules that apply to personal and dependency exemptions, noting reinstated personal phaseout amounts and dependency test requirements
- Specify the allocation of costs and fees associated with divorce, separation, or a support decree
- Recognize the various withholding and estimated tax provisions, including the requirements for joint estimated tax payments, refunds and deficiencies, and withholding for nonresident alien spouses
- Note the distinguishing characteristics of common law and community property, including provisions for equitable distribution, transmutation, comingling, income reporting, and ending the community
- Recognize the rules related to spousal support, noting circumstances when payments qualify as §71 alimony, applicable deductions, and reporting requirements
- Note the qualifying requirements for the married filing jointly tax status, including dependency exemptions, attributable income, alimony, and property divisions
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top