Combining the real-life experience of a practicing CPA/EA with essential down-to-earth tax materials, this authoritative self-study course will provide you with the most recent and up-to-date tax changes. You'll receive answers to your tax questions in an accessible, easy-to-read manual of the latest federal legislative issues. You'll also receive a digital PDF version that is hyperlinked to relevant sections of the Internal Revenue Code. Renowned tax experts Vern Hoven and Sharon Kreider cover the latest tax legislation, cases, and regulations related to real estate and investments.
Chapter highlights include the following:
- IRS clarification on who is and who isn't a real estate professional
- Converting vacation home to rental activity
- Tax issues for Airbnb rentals
- Determining whether foreclosure is a complete disposition for passive loss purposes
- Excluding gain on sale of residence
- Determining if property is dealer or investor property
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify passive loss rules, noting the establishment of material participation, passive rental activity, and the disposition of a passive activity.
- Identify the regulations and tax issues related to real estate professionals, noting the qualifying requirements for a real estate professional, recharacterization rules, self-rented property, and the difference between a dealer and an investor.
- Recall the rules, eligibility requirements, and applicable tax treatment associated with vacation homes, Airbnb rentals, like-kind exchanges, and delayed or deferred exchanges.
- Cite the rules for debt forgiveness and cancellation and their applicable impact to the taxpayer, the tax treatment of gain on the sale of a residence, and the rules associated with reacquiring property after an installment sale.
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top