Combining the real-life experience of a practicing CPA/EA with essential down-to-earth tax materials, this authoritative self-study course will provide you with the most recent and up-to-date tax changes. You'll receive answers to your tax questions in an accessible, easy-to-read manual of the latest federal legislative issues. You'll also receive a digital PDF version that is hyperlinked to relevant sections of the Internal Revenue Code. Renowned tax experts Vern Hoven and Sharon Kreider cover new laws and final regulations related to estate, trust, and gift tax rules, and planning techniques.
Course highlights include the following:
- Reporting requirement for estates
- Estate and gift tax thresholds
- Estates and trusts subject to 3.8% net investment income tax
- Final regulations issue on portability election
- Final regulations address allocation of trust expenses
- Personal liability of state and trust administrators for unpaid taxes
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify changes in the law regarding reporting cost basis to beneficiaries, filing Form 8971 and Schedule A and the relating deadlines and penalties which may be applicable.
- Identify the changes under the Trump administration to the new proposed regulations that could drastically affect the valuation of transfers in closely held entities and cite the impact of the various proposed regulations.
- Recall the purpose, changes, and timely filing of IRS Form 706, including the portability of unused exemptions, and the calculation of the Deceased Spousal Unused Exemption (DSUE).
- Recognize relevant rates and limits for various taxes and examine items that are exempt or excluded from the gift and estate tax, gifts in excess of the annual gift amount, the portability election, and GRATs.
- Cite top estate planning ideas and cutting-edge planning techniques such as Family Limited Partnerships (FLPs), wealth and succession planning, split-dollar insurance, grantor trusts, and installment sale planning.
- Identify issues related to the application and calculation of the net investment income tax (NIIT).
Choose Your Preferred Format
Get immediate access to a robust collection of learning and reference materials, allowing you to dive deep into the information you need. Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts who focus on helping you grasp concepts quickly using real-life examples. Download your CPE to any device, and take it with you so you can learn when and wherever you want. Complete your CPE with an online exam, and enjoy instant grading with the option to print your certificate immediately upon passing.
Our self-study materials are authored by top-quality, industry experts. You’ll receive a bound notebook of all the course materials, shipped to you within one business day. In addition, you’ll also have full online access. Each self-study package includes a robust collection of learning and reference materials to help you cover the information efficiently and put it into practice immediately.
Experience high-quality instruction with our Self-Study Videos, available to you 24/7. With more than 80+ videos currently in the Western CPE Self-Study Video library, you can see and hear our expert instructors deliver the information you need in a dynamic way that allows you to immediately apply your learning. Unlike a live course or webcast, you can complete the course on your own time, playing and pausing as needed. Self-Study Videos allow you to complete your CPE requirements on your own time.
Back to top