Beginning in 2013, a new 3.8% Medicare surtax will affect a large number of individuals, estates, and trusts, creating the need for innovative tax planning strategies. This course will help you navigate this new surtax and will explain how the tax impacts your clients. You’ll receive valuable information regarding the types of income that are subject to the tax and the types of income that are exempt. The course also includes practical examples that outline when the tax would apply, strategies for reducing net investment income and MAGI, and advice for ROTH IRA conversions.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Outline the 2013 surtax on earnings and investment income
- Describe how the surtax applies to individuals, estates, and trusts
- List hypothetical examples of investment income surtax
- Implement strategies to help manage the surtax
- List the types of income that are subject to the surtax and the types of income that are exempt from the surtax