Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Chapter 1
- Explain the function of ethics.
- Discuss the theory of utilitarianism.
- Describe the history of ethics in Western civilization.
- Contrast the term “positive laws” with “natural laws.”
- Discuss whether the AICPA code of ethics is a positive law or natural law.
- Explain why people follow rules of laws.
- Chapter 2
- Discuss how professional codes of ethics protect consumers and promote the CPA profession.
- Explain how being ethical will lead to greater professional success.
- Describe the difference between blindly following the ethical rules and truly applying the ethical concepts to one’s thought process.
- Chapter 3
- List the six guiding principles in the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct.
- Explain the difference between the principles and the rules.
- Discuss how to apply the rules to specific actions common to the CPA community.
- Chapter 4
- Discuss how rule interpretations apply to the rules themselves.
- Discuss the interpretations as they apply to your practice as a CPA.
- Discuss how you would apply the interpretations in a variety of specific circumstances.
- Describe the difference between principles, rules, and interpretations.
- Chapter 5
- Discuss the Internal Revenue Service Requirements as outlined in Circular 230.
- Describe the applicable AICPA guidance on tax practice.
- Apply the AICPA standards and the IRS rules to common ethical dilemmas faced by CPAs in tax practice.
- Chapter 6
- Identify recent changes in state laws and regulations pertaining to Pennsylvania CPAs.